If you are interested in lightening your skin be it dealing with dark patches, hyperpigmentation treatment or lightening your overall complexion learning about kojic acid cream will be helpful. This agent is used in a lot of skin lightening products, so it is important that you know what it is and whether it is suitable for you or not.
To help you to quickly navigate this page we have taken the approach of taking questions our readers have posed about this skin lightener and answering them on this page. The idea is you can quickly skip to those questions that are most relevant to you.
What is Kojic acid?
The first thing we need to say is that you should not be alarmed by the fact this product is called an acid. It is an extremely mild acid and is a natural substance.
Other examples of acidic natural ingredients are lemon and vinegar. You know how mild those acids are. Kojic acid is a little stronger, but is still extremely mild.
It is a chelation agent, which is produced by a range of fungi. The Kojic fungus produces this agent in the biggest quantities, hence the name of the agent.
This particular version of the acid is a by product of sake production. It is produced during the fermentation stage. Penicillium, Aspergillus and Acetobacter fungi also produce this compound.
The product does not lighten skin due to its acidity. Rather it works by inhibiting the production of skin pigment. It suppresses the enzymes that remove oxygen from a range of amino acids that are involved in the production of melanin, which is what makes skin dark.
Interestingly, it has this effect in all animals and in plants. If you add this ingredient to a plant’s water any new growth will be lighter.
The cosmetics and food industries both use it to lighten their products and to preserve them. For example, it is sometimes added to cut fruit products to stop them going brown.
Should I be putting an acid on my skin?
This is a common question, but as we said in the ‘what is kojic acid? ‘section this is a natural substance that is extremely mild. We have been eating this product for decades and it is no more acidic than many other substances we put on our skin.
It is also a mild antibacterial and antifungal agent. In the past, it has been used as an alternative rash cream. We are not suggesting you use it in the way.
If you have a rash it is important to consult a pharmacist or doctor and treat it with the right cream. In fact, if you have a rash it is best not to apply any products to your skin until it has cleared up.
The importance of patch testing kojic acid products before using them
If you have no allergic reaction or no signs of irritation you can then go ahead and use the product on a bigger area of your skin. You should do a patch test with any product or cosmetics that you have never used before.
Follow the instructions
It is also important to follow the instructions. Try to resist the temptation to use the product too much. You get much better, and safer, results by following the manufacturer’s directions.
Where to buy the best kojic acid products
Our advice is to be careful to buy from a good source. That is the best way to ensure that the product you are using is as safe as possible. Meladerm is one of the most popular skin lightening creams containing Kojic Acid. If you want a kojic acid product with great kojic acid cream reviews then this is one to seriously consider.
Other things you need to know about kojic acid cream
As we said these are the most common questions that our readers ask. However, there are a few other things you need to know about the product. Here are the main points.
- The effects are not permanent
- Once you stop using the product your melanin production will begin to return to normal. Therefore, you have to be prepared to use any kojic based product over the long term. With most products you do not have to apply the product very often to maintain the skin lightening effect.
- Check other ingredients
- Most skin lightening creams contain a range of ingredients. Our advice is that you check the full list of ingredients before buying and using any product you plan to apply to your skin. (Meladerm contains safe, natural ingredients)
- You do not want to find yourself using kojic acid products that have been mixed with harmful chemicals like mercury. (Meladerm does not contain mercury) This is another reason it is important to buy the Kojic cream or skin lightening products from sources you can trust.
- Store your skin lighteners properly
- The Kojic acid in the kojic acid cream reacts with the air and oxidises quickly. This changes the chemical composition of the product and makes it less effective. It is important to put the cap or lid back on when you have finished applying the product and to store it in a cool dry place. (one reason why Civant makes special packaging for Meladerm)
We hope you found this article helpful. Please Like, Pin, share and/or comment below